Today, is the day where we celebrate the right of free speech and expression in criticism of faith or religion. This is a holiday in which an individual or groups are encouraged to express criticism of, or even disdain for religion. The objective is to draw attention to the world that every one has the right to blaspheme. This is also a part like protest to those countries who passed laws making Blasphemy as a crime or worse a heinous crime which will put a convict to death sentence.
In history, Blasphemy Day is celebrated on September 30 to coincide with the anniversary of the publication of satirical drawings of Muhammad in one of Denmark‘s newspapers, resulting in the Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons controversy. Although the caricatures of Muhammad caused some controversy within Denmark, especially among Muslims, it became a global furor after Muslim imams around the world stirred up violent protests in which at least 137 people were killed, embassies burned and other acts of recrimination carried out because of the alleged blasphemy. The holiday was started in 2009 by the Center For Inquiry.
“I know there are some who ask why we don’t just ban such a video. The answer is enshrined in our laws: our Constitution protects the right to practice free speech. Here in the United States, countless publications provoke offense. Like me, the majority of Americans are Christian, and yet we do not ban blasphemy against our most sacred beliefs.” – Barack Obama
As for me, I don’t need to be so radical about it and blaspheme all day long, because I know that I do it every day. As an atheist, the mere fact that I “lack of belief in a god” is a blasphemy to other faith. In short I am blaspheming 24/7. So yes, lets celebrate Blasphemy Rights Day, because we have the right to criticize religion and faith, we have the right to blaspheme against any gods and its prophets! Because this is our fundamental human right whether you like it or not!
For Your Information : Did you know that by not acknowledging that a god exist or a person of other faith denies the other god of the other faith is a form of blasphemy? And for those scientists, the mere fact that they (scientists) find new discoveries which in some way will contradict to religious beliefs like the evolution is a form of blasphemy?
- As if You Needed Another Reason to Celebrate Blasphemy Rights’ Day (patheos.com)
- Egyptian atheist arrested on blasphemy charges, after being molested by an angry mob (refreshingnews99.blogspot.com)
- Push to call blasphemy a crime (smh.com.au)
- President Obama to United Nations: ‘We Do Not Ban Blasphemy’ (patheos.com)
- What’s Wrong With Blasphemy? (opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Robert Fulford: In praise of blasphemy (fullcomment.nationalpost.com)
- Outrage over anti-Islam video threatens to reignite blasphemy debate at U.N. (mcclatchydc.com)
- Time to repeal blasphemy law (ahmadiyyamalta.org)