After reading the News that the God Particle or Higgs Boson was found and after reading the readers comments most specially the religious ones, I cant help but to feel sad and distress by the fact that rather than celebrating the new-found particle, they lambast it as if they are threatened or something.
I just want to tell to you religious people to please celebrate this as a great discovery in science that does not in any way threaten your personal beliefs. The Higgs Boson is only nicknamed “the God Particle” because it sustains the continued existence of matter as we know it, something that was formerly the exclusive domain of the supernatural.
For those wondering why it’s called the “God Particle“.
Like a god, it is everywhere but hard to find, goes the quip. In fact the origin of the name is rather less poetic. It comes from the title of a book by Nobel physicist Leon Lederman whose draft title was “The Goddamn Particle“, to describe the frustrations of trying to nail the Higgs. The title was cut back to “The God Particle” by his publisher, apparently fearful that “Goddamn” could be offensive.
Religion and Science give mutually exclusive explanations on many other things such as the origin of life, the origin of the universe, and the source of human morality. Unlike the new reality-sustaining power of “God’s Grace“/the Higgs Boson, these conflicts have existed for decades and I assume many of us have learned to live with them. We should celebrate the fact that science has figured out answers to some of these questions even as we remain in awe of their religious explanations. We should do the same with this new discovery.
And please don’t be satisfied with religion’s explanations of nature, and don’t feel threatened by science’s.
- Eureka! Cern announces discovery of Higgs boson ‘God particle’ (independent.co.uk)
- Scientists say new particle fits description of Higgs boson (news.blogs.cnn.com)
- In the Picture: the god particle (blogs.ft.com)
- Search for ‘God particle’ at an end? (kshb.com)
- God particle found (venganza.org)
- Explaining Higgs Boson, or the “God Particle” (fox2now.com)
- Truimph at Cern as Large Hadron Collider scientists announce discovery of Higgs boson ‘God particle’ (independent.co.uk)
- Unusual Explanation Of Higgs Boson, The “God Particle” (teacherlingo.com)